At the foot of the Pyrénées, surrounded by lakes, forests and stunning scenery, you will find the idyllic Château Arize. A beautiful home which is perfect for all generations, it’s the ideal place to relax and unwind with an impressive array of amenities as well as beautiful grounds.
Dating back to the 18th century, when it was rebuilt after the French Revolution, the château is full of character with beautiful antiques, traditional furnishings and Persian rugs. The restoration has been a labour of love for its owners who have updated the home to a fine standard, creating a historical and magical ambience.
The 14 bedrooms, eleven of which are en-suite, include two master doubles at the front with glorious views of the parkland and three interconnecting rooms ideal for families with young children. Explore the house and you’ll also find a cinema room, library, a fun games room in addition to an antique billiards table. A brand new gym, sauna and jacuzzi have recently been added to the amazing list of amenities across the home.
Pre-book the much-loved chef who will work with you to create an unforgettable menu, perfect for the wonderful terrace dining room where up to thirty guests can come together overlooking the château’s spectacular gardens. As well as a characterful château kitchen, there is an incredibly impressive professional kitchen with all the equipment a keen cook could wish for, renovated to the highest of standards.
You could spend all day in the twenty-four-acre parkland, sun-bathing by the heated swimming pool with the view of the Pyrénées, exploring the streams by the ancient trees or listening to the peaceful flow of the river that runs through the grounds. Have a lazy game of pétanque, cycle around on one of the château’s eight bikes or play tennis on the fabulous tennis court which is of a professional standard. There is a delightful walking path encircling the house whilst yoga-sessions in the new gym have been a real hit with guests.
Set in the heart of the Natural Regional Park of the Ariège Pyrénées, outdoor activities such as golf, cycling, kayaking, fishing and horse-riding are in abundance amongst its lakes, mountains and forests. There are also many beautiful villages and towns to discover such as Foix with its medieval castle perched on a hill or St. Lizier, one of France’s 'Plus Beaux Villages' with UNESCO World Heritage status or St. Girons where there is a lovely market on Saturday mornings. The nearest village to the château, about 5 minutes by car, dates back to medieval times and has a couple of small supermarkets, a bank and ATM, a bakery, butchers and a tourist office.
Whether a family reunion or a special holiday with friends, Château Arize is a unique and peaceful retreat in a very special setting in this glorious part of southern France. The lower 18-guest prices only include access to 7 bedrooms located in the 19th Century Wing of the Chateau.
Out of the 15 bath/shower rooms, eleven are en suite to the bedrooms - please see the 'Features' for full details
It's a great home for families with some of the rooms interconnecting. A couple of the bedrooms are best suited to children so please check the 'Features' tab for further details
Children will love the huge grounds with vast lawns, trees and games - a great place for supervised play due to the river and stream
The House Manager lives in the grounds and is available if needed
- Château kitchen and separate professional kitchen, well equipped including American style fridge-freezer with ice-maker, wine fridge, walk-in refrigerator, drinks chiller, self-service fridge, three ovens, two sets of hobs, griddle, two dishwashers and coffee maker
- Terrace dining area (conservatory style dining room leading to al-fresco terraces)
- Laundry room
- Gym with shower room
- DVD room
- 4 Guest WCs
- Bedroom One: Small children's bedroom with two bunk beds (for up to three children) and a half bathroom across the hallway
- 2 x shower room in the service staircase
- Entrance lounge
- Main Lounge
- Dining room
- Billiard room
- Games room
- Function room
- Bedroom One: Double bedroom and en-suite bathroom with walk in shower and WC
- Bedroom Two/Three: Double room with door leading to separate twin room. Both rooms share an en-suite bathroom (bath with shower) with WC
- Bedroom Five: Double bedroom and en-suite bathroom (bath with shower) with WC
- Bedroom Six: Twin bedroom and en-suite bathroom (bath plus separate shower) with WC
- Bedroom Seven/Eight: Double bedroom with doors leading to twin room (ideal for young children). Both rooms share an en-suite bathroom (bath with shower) with WC
- Bedroom Nine: Master double bedroom (34m2) and en-suite bathroom (jacuzzi bath with shower and separate shower enclosure) with WC
- Bedroom Ten: Master double bedroom (33m2) and en-suite bathroom (bath with shower) with WC
- Bedroom Eleven: Accessed via additional staircase, double bedroom and en-suite bathroom (bath with shower) with WC
- Bedroom Twelve: Quadruple room, with double bed and two single beds and en-suite shower room with WC
- Bedroom Thirteen: Double bedroom and en-suite shower room with WC
- Bedroom Fourteen/Fifteen: Double bedroom with doors leading to small room suitable for cot/single and en-suite shower room with WC
Bedrooms 11-15 are not available when renting at the lower rate
- Rectangular, heated swimming pool (10m x 5m, depth: 1m-2m) with safety fence. Pool is open and heated approximately May to end-September
- Al-fresco dining terrace
- Gas barbecue
- Tennis court (hard court, professional standard)
- 24 acres of lawns and trees
- River and stream
- Off-road parking space for up to 20 cars
- Wi-Fi (two separate Wi-Fi systems to ensure optimum coverage and speed)
- Decorative fireplace
- Satellite and cable TV (English channels available)
- DVD player
- Cinema room with DVD library
- Music library
- Antique billiard table
- Games room
- Sauna and Jacuzzi
- State of the art gym
- Bikes x 8
- Tennis court (hard court, professional standard)
- Tennis and rackets
- Washing machine
In a wonderful location at the foot of the Pyrenees, you are in the heart of the Natural Regional Park of the Ariège Pyrénées, surrounded by lakes, forests and hills – a fantastic location for a great array of putdoor activities and stunning natural scenery.
You are only 5 minutes drive from a local medieval village where you can find two small supermarkets, a butchery, bakery, chemist and medical centre as well as a tourist office for the area.
There are two larger towns a little further with larger supermarkets and a greater choice of shops and restaurants – Foix and Saint Girons. Foix (20km), with its medieval castle located on a rocky hill overlooking the Ariège and Arge rivers, is just 20 minutes away. Take a stroll in the old town, exploring its narrow streets, pretty squares with ancient abbeys, local restaurants and authentic shops. There is also a superb market every Friday.
Saint Girons (24km) on the river Sarlat is an attractive town to wander around with characterful buildings and shops to admire. Combine with a trip to the UNESCO classified ancient village of St. Lizier (25km), one of France’s Plus Beaux Villages. Rich in art and history, visit the lower part with the old village and cathedral then head to the upper part surrounded by ancient fortifications including the Bishops Palace, now a museum.
The bastide town of Mirepoix (52km) is also within easy reach: a vibrant gem, with one of the best markets in France on a Monday and hosting plenty of festivals and events throughout the year.
Set within the Natural Regional Park of the Ariège Pyrénées, outdoor activities such as cycling, kayaking, fishing and horse-riding are in abundance amongst its lakes, mountains and forests. Cycling is a great way to discover this beautiful National Park; a well-known cycling trail of over 40km can be accessed just half a kilometre away. Keen walkers should also visit the waterfall at Cascade d’Ars (57km) which is at its best in May and June whilst serious golf enthusiasts will love the golf course just a short drive from the château.
In the summer you can swim at Lac de Mondély, a lake also wonderful for fishing, walking and bird watching. Families will love the opportunity to walk with donkeys near Biert (30km) or Aleu (40km), visit the nearby reptile park, there's a Prehistoric Park near Tarascon-sur-Ariège (40km), or there are some fantastic adventure parks such as Horizon Vertical for older kids and adults in Moulis (30km) or Acro’lus for younger children near Aulus-les-Bains (55km). The subterranean River Labouïche (17km) is another brilliant place to visit nearby where you can visit the caves and caverns 60m underground.
The area has so many wonderful historical sites to discover. You are not far from the the Cathars land and a trip to the ruins of the Château de Montsegur (52km), one of the last Cathar strongholds, should not be missed. Another fine day trip is the Niaux cave paintings (45km), dating back 14,000 years and can be visited if you book on to one of their tours, booking in advance is recommended.
The fortified city of Carcassonne (98km) is located about ninety minutes from the château and is a must see. The famous summer festival, brings together over 100 performances, including opera, dance, theatre and music, most of which you can watch free of charge.