Nestled among fruit orchards and vineyards on a designated scenic wine road in the Montepulciano countryside, this 1850’s villa in Tuscany is an ideal home base for travellers and wine lovers on a Central Italy adventure.
The villa is warm and inviting, with cozy sitting rooms, comfortable sofas, fireplaces, and plenty of natural light. Amidst its traditional features, the restored villa is well appointed with modern amenities, including two kitchens and a dining area with room for the whole group.
Five peaceful bedrooms with en suite bathrooms reside over two floors, the sixth contained in the annexed guesthouse, along with a living room and sofa bed for guests wanting privacy.
Step outside and sweeping panoramic views of the Tuscan countryside will take your breath away. Dips in the pool and al fresco dining have never been more enjoyable - not to mention the many terraces from which to watch spectacular sunsets.
The vibrant town of Montepulciano awaits just a 10-15 drive from the villa – a small city with a big history of art, architecture, and, of course, the famous Nobile wine. Try the thermal baths near town, or pick a day trip to Cortona, Siena, or Florence, all within 28-90km.
Villa Monte is perched in the Montepulciano countryside with easy access to the historical city center of Montepulciano, often referred to as the “gem of Tuscany”. The city was founded by an Etruscan King and has 2000 years of history which can be experienced by guests during visits to the Etruscan Tombs and walks around the impressive renaissance architecture. Montepulciano and surrounding cities offer interesting history lessons from many important stages in world history such as Etruscan and Roman periods and the Renaissance.
Villa Monte is in an ideal location for visitors to enjoy the best of Tuscany. Just a 10 minute car ride to historic Montepulciano, it is also only a 15-30 minute ride away to beautiful cities such as Montalcino and Pienza and within an hour drive of Siena and Florence. Montepulciano is the closest Tuscan city to Rome, and the airport there is the most popular for international flights to Italy.
The villa is 8 minutes away from a complex with several tennis courts, which are available to tourists and locals. Most of the courts are of clay surface, the most common surface for tennis courts in Italy and the same surface as the French open tournament in Paris. As a note, Villa Monte is located on the official scenic road of Montepulciano, which is a great place for other sports such as cycling and hiking. Villa Monte is a 22 minute drive away from a 9 hole golf course.
There is something for everyone, and the owners are happy to help connect guests to local events or specific locations. Below are a few ideas:
For Food Lovers
Montepulciano and surrounding areas will live up to the highest expectations. Villa Monte is located on the Strada del Vino Nobile (designated scenic country wine road), and the villa has views of vineyards that produce the famous Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, D.O.C.G (highest quality official rating). We welcome visitors to participate in a wine tasting or wine production lesson at the villa free of charge. The lessons are given by the owner who is a trained sommelier in Montalcino, Tuscany.
- Wine tasting and cantina tours in Montepulciano (Vino Nobile di Montepulciano) and Montalcino (Brunello di Montalcino).
- Wine tasting event at the villa featuring local producers (upon request).
- Visit of sheep farm and cheese tasting in Pienza.
- Local restaurants that serve traditional Tuscan fare such as pici pasta, wild boar, local wines and cheeses.
The closest restaurant is 2.8 kilometers away (or 1.7 miles) - it is an excellent traditional Italian restaurant that can be reached by foot or bike (or car) through the scenic road. In the historic city center of Montepulciano (6 kilometers away or 3.7 miles also through the scenic route) there are a very large number of excellent traditional Tuscan restaurants.
Lovers of Nature and the Outdoors:
Enjoy the healthy lifestyle of Tuscany with outdoor activities. Villa Monte provides a perfect place to enjoy long nature walks, runs and bike rides. The owners are happy to provide local maps and help guests develop a route for any of these activities. They can even point out a few good stopping points for taking photographs or re-energizing with a glass of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano wine!
- Scenic nature walks and hiking through countryside surrounding Villa Monte.
- Bike rides to Montepulciano and surrounding hilltop villages and cities.
- Bike rides in the Chiana valley flatlands and migratory bird reserve of Lake Montepulciano and Lake Chiusi.
- There are local shops that rent professional grade bicycles for those that are interested.
- Swimming in the warm waters and beautiful scenery of Trasimeno Lake.
Art and Historical Trips
- Enjoy one of the most beautiful scenic drives in Tuscany along the road between Montepulciano, Pienza(14km/9miles) and Montalcino(17km/10mies from Pienza).
- Visit Florence (90km/55miles), the centre of Renaissance Art. Montepulciano was historically aligned with Florence and was important, as the southern most important city aligned with Florence in its battle with Siena for domination of the Tuscan countryside. The support to Florence is evidenced by the Marzocco monument (flying lion, and one of the symbols of Florence) at the entrance of Montepulciano.
- Siena (45km/28miles), one of the most important republics of Tuscany, was challenger for Florence’s domination politically and artistically. It is at its peak in July and August with the famous Palio horse race.
- Cortona (28km/18miles from Villa Monte) is a beautiful hilltown, with impressive architecture well-known as the setting for such books as ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’.
- Etruscan tombs and the museum of archaeology in Chiusi (5km/3.5miles).
Besides the amenities of the villa and vineyard, visitors should consider a day trip to one of the thermal baths near Montepulciano. They can enjoy a full range of spa treatments or just enjoy the hot mineral baths which many say have healing properties.
- Chianciano Terme is just 6 kilometres/4 miles from Villa Monte and is one of the most famous spa areas in Tuscany, benefiting from several hot springs.
- Another thermal bath with historical importance is Bagno Vignoni, located only 22km/14 miles from Villa Monte.
- Terme di Saturnia (80km/50miles).
For Movie Buffs:
Enjoy the landscape that was shown in several movies. The owners can arrange sightseeing to background scenery that was part of several famous movies shot in Montepulciano or nearby. Watch the movies first at Villa Monte.
Famous movies shot in or near Montepulciano:
- Gladiator (2000)
- Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)
- Twilight / New Moon (2009)
- 007 Quantum of Solace (2008)
- The English Patient (1996)
- Life is Beautiful (1998)
- Stealing Beauty (1996)
- Fellini’s Otto e Mezzo (1963)
The kids can enjoy the large panoramic swimming pool, play ball in the grassy areas, enjoy the swing, explore the fruit orchard (over 70 fruit trees for the clients to pick and eat whatever they want). explore the vineyard (27 acres). We also make available at the villa games for kids, tale games and movie DVDs.
The kids and adults can explore the scenic route (where the villa sits in) by walk or bike (which can be arranged to our clients). In the vicinity there will be summer festivals with historic parades and large floaters in the nearby towns, there are water parks with large water slides, and open air dinners in the local neighboorhoods.
There are also tours that can be customized to cater to the specific needs to each individual group with or without kids - such as undersground world of Montepulciano (for kids and adults) or winery visits.
Also we offer a cooking course with a professional chef at the villa and in the past have had several groups with kids of all ages enjoy a customized cooking course for kids - the kids get to make hand rolled pasta and pizza, and a special Tuscan dessert.
Included in rental rates
- Midweek cleaning, including change of towels (no bed linen change)
- Linen towels and swimming pool towels
- Welcome basket with breakfast and snack items
- Free two hour wine tasting and lesson with trained sommelier
- Access to complimentary Italian/English speaking concierge to help arrange any activities, excursions and meals
- Information guide for scenic biking and walking routes, restaurant and spa suggestions, local touristic points and other helpful information
On request at extra cost
- Please enquire for catering service.
- Extra full linen change (bedding and towels) 150 Euros.
- Additional cleaning service: 16 Euros per hour (minimum of 3 hours per day)
- Guided wine tours.
- Traditional Tuscan 4 course dinner plus wine.
- Cooking course at the villa with professional chef.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, so please just contact Excellence Luxury Villas VIP Concierge Team to help you arrange any of those little extras that can really make the difference.