Knowles House is a superbly restored, elegant, spacious and luxurious Grade II listed Georgian house. It beautifully combines its original character with smart and contemporary furnishings to give the ambiance of a boutique hotel along with the freedom of self catering.
A wonderful house for reunions and family gatherings, it sits in a peaceful conservation area cul de sac overlooking the River Derwent and beside a park with colourful gardens, bowling, tennis courts, children's play area and boating pond.
There is a variety of shops, restaurants, pubs and cafés all within close walking distance. The house is also situated close to the railway station, which has regular connections to Derby and Nottingham.
Glorious walking country surrounds the town, and the delights of the Peak District are readily accessible. In particular, the splendor of Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall and Peveril Castle provide a glimpse into times gone by.
Matlock Bath boasts the Heights of Abraham Cable Cars and Caverns Mining Museum. A wide variety of activities are available locally, including water sports, cycle hire and pony trekking.
Fine Country Houses
- Chatsworth. Home to the remarkable Duchess Georgiana.
- Kedleston Hall. Masterpiece of neo-classical architecture, designed by Robert Adam
- Hardwick Hall. Built for 'Bess of Hardwick', Elizabethan England's second most powerful and wealthy woman.
- Haddon Hall. A fortified medieval manor house dating from the 12th Century.
- Tissington Hall. The history of Tissington can be traced back as far as 1086, when it is mentioned in the Domesday Book among the possessions of Henry de Ferrers.
Local Market Towns
They all have a wealth of interesting buildings and churches to explore, and are perfect for shopping for gifts.
- Buxton. This Georgian Spa town with its Crescent (rival to Bath), Opera House and Pavilion Gardens is well worth a visit.
- Ladybower Fishery for fishing.
- Blue John Cavern. At Castleton, the tours are of immense educational interest showing clearly how the caverns are formed in limestone strata.
- Carsington Water. For water sports, horse and bike riding.
- Crich Tramway Museum. For a great day out visit and pay an old penny to ride on the tram.
- Alton Towers. Half an hour from the house for the ultimate theme park thrill!
- Gulliver’s Kingdom. A more suitable attraction for younger children and those of you that are not as adventurous!
- Uttoxeter Race Course. Meetings are held throughout the year, with a number of themed special events.
- Heights of Abraham. A cable car ride and show caves, located in Matlock Bath.
- The hills and dales of the Peak District and surrounding area are ideal for walkers.
- White Peak. The fields are outlined by dry stone walls and criss-crossed with footpaths.
- Dovedale Valley Manifold Valley. Close-by both valleys provide riverside walks at the foot of towering limestone gorges.
- Kinder Scout Staffordshire Moorlands. In stark contrast these offer more adventurous walking both within an hour of the house.
- The Tissington Trail. An old railway track from Ashbourne to Buxton, makes for easy walking.
- High Peak Trail. This also joins the Tissington trail and takes you west towards Wirksworth.
- Howden. If you drive to the north of the Peak District National Park you will enter the Dark Peak, due to the grit stone rock deposits and moor land. Here you will find the 3 dams. Derwent and Howden dams were made famous in 1943 when the RAF 617 Squadron used them to practise their famous Dambuster raid against the Ruhr dams in Germany.
At Excellence Luxury Villas we pride ourselves on going that little bit further for our guests. If there is anything you would like to arrange for your stay, please contact the Excellence Luxury Villas VIP Concierge Team who will be happy to help. We can usually help you arrange any of the following:
- Maid service/extra cleaning
- Local day-trips or tours
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Babysitting service
- Welcome hamper/pre-stocked fridge
This is by no means an exhaustive list, so please just contact Excellence Luxury Villas VIP Concierge Team to help you arrange any of those little extras that can really make the difference.